February 08, 2006

Blogging from another Subaru dealer!

But this time just for an oil change. And this time from inside Canada! We're at Don Docksteader Motors in downtown Vancouver. It's 1030 local time and Pat's plane lands at the Vancouver airport (1.1 miles from here) at 1224. So that's outstanding. The border crossing took three whole minutes. It would have taken two if the border guard hadn't said "What does NEW FAZE mean?" Anyway, did a brief entry last night from the Motel 6 in Bellingham, WA:
==========

Nearly in Canada!

February 7, 2006

We got to the Motel 6 in Bellingham, WA after a very long day’s drive – over seven hundred miles. It was a great drive, though. When I parked the car at 8:00 PM PST, the mileage said 114,933. 3,188 miles, home to here. And the car is parked at N48º44’04.3” x W122º28’05.3”. The person at the desk here tells me it’s around 18 miles to the Canadian border. And I think it’s around 55 miles from here to Vancouver. Pardon the abbreviated entry – we spent a whole lot of time on the road today! And I’m not even sure when I’ll get this post up – maybe not even until Whitehorse! But maybe I’ll find a spot in Vancouver tomorrow. And I promise once we’re settled in Whitehorse – which will probably be Saturday the 11th or Sunday the 12th – I’ll make good on my claim of a picture and a paragraph a day. Until then, we’re looking forward to hearing from everybody and seeing you in March,

Jay, Ivory and Nicky.

PS 1045 PM – I need to get in bed. But I’ve actually gotten a load of laundry done which is a pleasure after six days of travel – it will be nice to go into Canada with all clean clothes. Pleasures are very simple on the road. Plus I’ve found the address of the Subaru dealership in Vancouver and left a message with their service department that I would be bringing my car in the morning for an oil change if they could fit me in. And I’ve found it on my Vancouver map; it’s about 1.1 miles from the airport. And I’ve programmed it into my GPS which says it will take around 59 minutes to get there from here. Of course I’ll have to cross the border with these two no-good mutts but I doubt that will present a problem. So I can sleep!

Also, I nearly forgot to mention today we had another little geography lesson. It seems like so long ago… we were driving on the interstate and we passed a regular green interstate sign with white lettering and it said “Now crossing the 45th parallel – halfway between the equator and the north pole.” Only about six weeks after the winter solstice and in the northern hemisphere, there was plenty of snow on the ground – it looked a lot closer to the north pole than the equator. Perhaps on March 21, halfway between winter and summer and halfway between the equator and the north pole it will be different.

==========
Anyway, I don't know how the blogging will be between here and Whitehorse, so this may be our last entry until Saturday or Sunday. Pat's plane flies out of Whitehorse at 7:00 on Sunday morning so we'd better be up there by then! And thanks for all the emails - it's been fun getting notes whenever I've had the opportunity to download them. We're probably going to be here another hour or more so I may put up another entry but if I don't, I'll probably see you next in Whitehorse. By the way, this is the hotel where we're staying in Whitehorse: River View Hotel. And this is the Yukon Quest.

Also - I think I'm going to switch this to weekly archiving so it's not so huge each time it opens up. If you want to see earlier weeks you'll have to look on the side somewhere. Also, I'll be getting more pictures up when we finally stop for a while! Take it easy,

Jay, Ivory and Nicky

No comments: