February 19, 2006

Sunday in Whitehorse…












February 19, 2006

Got up this morning and had a nice breakfast then took Ivory and Nicky for a leisurely walk down the river. It’s been a pleasant, low-key morning and I’ve taken the time to reorganize a few things. I’m putting up four pictures today, but only one that I actually took today.

I’m putting up one picture of the ice on the Takhini River that I took when I was walking the puppies the day before yesterday. It doesn’t give you a perfect idea of what it looks like, but try clicking on the picture and viewing it larger. You can get a little bit of a feel for the astonishing thickness and clarity of it. It’s really an amazing experience in itself to walk on ice like that. There were places where you could see the rocks on the bottom of the river just like you were looking through two feet of glass. It was hard to look away from the puppies, but it was fascinating when I did.

I’ve also included a picture of the puppies when we were back in the field, heading up to the kennel. When I first looked at the picture it had my thumb or a piece of my sleeve in one corner and it wasn’t a real great look but I trimmed it out and you get a pretty decent idea of what those puppies look like. There’s a song by U2 called Some Days and Bono talks about some days being better than others. At one point he says "some days are slippery, some days are sloppy, some days you can’t stand the sight of a puppy." What a nightmare. Can you imagine? February 17, 2006 was most definitely not one of those days for me.

I’m also putting in two pictures of the snow sculpture construction in front of the race headquarters. The first one I took on February 15 and the second one I took this morning. See the "RV ROUTE" sign on the left in both pictures? The images aren’t fantastic but the sculpture certainly is impressive.

Anyway, have a great day,

Jay, Ivory and Nicky

No comments: