February 21, 2006

Flurries, Yukon Style










February 21, 2006

Hopefully everyone’s not getting bored with yet another picture of my car. But I thought this one was particularly telling. According to the weather here we had "flurries" last night. In Virginia after flurries perhaps there’s a flake here or there or maybe a little bit of snow on some leaves. Cars don’t look like that after a "flurry."

I took Ivory and Nicky for our wonderful river walk after we had breakfast. I may have already mentioned this, but the park where we walk is very similar to Pony Pasture, only probably twenty times larger and at least right now it’s solid snow. Plus the park is on both sides of the river (the Yukon) and there is one car bridge (with sidewalks on both sides of the road) and then around 1.5 miles downstream a beautiful foot bridge called the Centennial Bridge. And like Pony Pasture, tons and tons of people are always walking their dogs there, and you even get to know the "regulars," just like at Pony Pasture.

I took one picture of Ivory and Nicky on the path right beside the river and another of them both on the trail. I liked the one on the trail because they had run off into the woods chasing after something and Nicky was covered with snow. We walked for nearly an hour after that happened and the snow was still on his back when we got back to the hotel. Ivory had snow on his back too but it doesn’t show up like it does on Nicky.

At the moment I’m writing this it’s around 3:00 PM Pacific Standard Time and the Quest mushers are going to be finishing soon – even though it’s in Dawson and not down here as originally anticipated. So I think I’ll head over to the Quest office.

Have a great day,

Jay, Ivory and Nicky

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey Jay.. makes our group run last Sunday seem ordinary! It was 16 here and about 1 when we ran north (with the wind) We had 12 brave souls out and as many enjoying starbucks coffee at Panera. Enjoyed the update!

Regards,
Mark
3 Sports Running Company

Anonymous said...

OK, Jay, so who's having more fun, you or the dogs? I'm getting really COLD just reading you describing the snow and ice and seeing all of the pictures! I love the one of Ivory and Nicky with the snow on 'em (you know I had two Belgians at one time). It sounds like it's really been quite a wonderful trip so far - but you always seem to have a great time no matter where you are or what you're doing! But this is really spectacular! I am enjoying reading your blog and all of the pictures, too. Take care and keep moving to stay warm! :) Patti