February 16, 2006

Getting to know the dogs a little better…













February 16, 2006
We got up today and had a bite to eat then left here and headed up to Takhini Hot Springs. It was a nice place and we hiked around the trails there for a half hour or so but headed back over to Muktuk before very long. It wasn’t nearly as crazy as yesterday so we got to hang out some more with the people who live and work there, and I got to meet a few more of the dogs. I took a lot of pictures of dogs; I particularly enjoyed the attitude of this one standing on top of her box, enjoying herself. All the dogs at Muktuk appear to enjoy themselves most of the time.
Ivory and Nicky and I went on a very brief hike behind the main lodge; the Takhini River runs back there and the Quest will be coming down it a day or two before the finish. This is a picture of Nicky running around out on the frozen river; that’s the kind of surface some parts of the race are run on.
When the dogs and I got back to the hotel around 4:00 PM they still hadn’t gotten to go for a long walk today, so we took off down the river for a little bit over an hour. The third picture is taken looking across the Yukon River, about ten minutes walk from our hotel room. That’s why they call this the "River View Hotel." Although I suppose they could as easily call it the "Mountain View Hotel." Either way, it’s a nice view just about any time.

Have a great day,

Jay, Nicky and Ivory

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Jay, I'm finally getting caught up with your blog, as I've missed a couple of days. What a remarkable journey (literally and metaphorically!). I feel like I'm there myself! I can sense the clear air, the anticipation, and you have done an excellent job of conveying the whole "feel" of the place. It sounds like you are really enjoying yourself - who is having more fun, you or the dogs?!?! Warm thoughts to you from Patti