February 20, 2006

Making it up as we go along...












February 19, 2006

I've decided to spend the night here in Pelly. The car gas situation is iffy and it's nearly 11:00 PM on a Sunday and believe me when I tell you there are no gas stations near here. Anywhere. At least none that are open at this hour on Sunday. So we'll get up tomorrow and head up to Dawson, around a three hour drive. I'll probably sleep on the floor in the gym here but unfortunately the dogs can't come in. I'll walk them in a while and get them something to eat and plenty to drink and apologize to them. I'll buy them a steak tomorrow or something.

I was here when the first musher, Lance Mackey, arrived at 9:41 PM. He ate - fast - and left at 10:32. Someone said "you're a fast eater" and he said "I'm learning from my dogs." He seemed like a very nice guy and I was impressed to see him chatting up the people who were running the concession, and leave them a generous tip. He seems like a good guy.

I'm putting up three more pictures - it's always difficult to tell in what order they'll turn out on the blog. Anyway, one picture is of Lance Mackey scarfing down some serious calories at a very high speed. I was especially impressed with that. There's also a picture of two of his leaders, whose names I didn't catch. And a third picture is of a race veterinarian checking over Lance's dogs. One of the race vets was named Dr. Phillips! No relation, according to him.

It's around 11:15 PM here and it's probably going to be a long night. I've heard there are more teams coming in soon. So I may be putting up more posts or I may try to get some sleep. At the moment I'm having way too much fun to sleep but maybe soon. We'll see. Have a great day,

Jay, Ivory and Nicky

No comments: