February 14, 2006

It’s getting cold up here!
















February 14, 2006

Until this morning it hasn’t been what I would consider really frigid. I mean, yesterday morning it was raining. Fahrenheit temperatures have been generally in the 20’s and 30’s. The use Celsius here, and that would be anywhere from about -7 to +4. Nothing that you wouldn’t see in Richmond pretty often in February, and quite regularly in January. But this morning when we got up it was around 0 or -2 F, or -18 or -19 C. That’s getting pretty cold. But it was crystal clear (probably why it’s so cold) and the breeze was only going 2 or 3 mph. When we took our big walk this AM I could have worn a scarf – I will next time – and I could have worn heavier gloves but it wasn’t really uncomfortable walking. We were out for a little bit over an hour and a half. The birds were considerably less abundant this morning than they have been so far. They’ll probably come out some this afternoon.

I’m putting up a picture of a tiny piece of “jumble ice” that I took this AM as we walked down the river. To imagine what jumble ice is like up the river where it’s really serious, as I understand it, picture the same thing – only as big as a shed in the back yard, and piles of it, spread all the way across the river.

I’m also putting a picture of Nicky with ice on his whiskers. Ivory’s got a lot too but it doesn’t show up as much.

And one more picture of the dogs walking up the river bank in the morning; it’s a little bit (okay, a lot) overexposed because I’m shooting almost directly into the sun but it’s kind of a cool picture. Anyway, take it easy,

Jay, Ivory and Nicky

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The pictures look great, and the dogs look like they are having fun!